Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Hate is not enough

OK, just a little burned out here today...just got off the I-95 thunder run from New Jersey to North Carolina--- and I do hate that drive now, even though I used to like it. One word--tolls, hate the damn things. Everything north of DC is toll city, and I hate it.

Also did an experiment driving North on 95 on Friday and back down today. Tried to make a game of spotting and counting Bush or Kerry bumper sticker and/or other items of political sport. Quickly tired of it though because all I saw was Bush/Cheney 04 or GW stickers. Not a single Kerry sticker to be found. Northbound or Southbound, and I was looking. I did finally find one, in my Mother's retirement village. It was on the bumper of a car next to faded Dean sticker. I also saw a Kerry button on one older lady having lunch in New Jersey. I didn't even see any of the normal campaign ads or signs in the democratic stronghold of New Jersey. This is one of the places you can get keyed if you have a Bush sticker on your car. It made me think of the poll done that Ala71 referenced about strong supporters for both campaigns.

Now bumper stickers are not a scientific method of determining political support, but at least one person in a family has to be dedicated enough to stick one of the things on your car (have you ever tried to get one off?). What I saw was a lot of people who felt pretty strongly about Bush, but not one who felt the same about Kerry. Interesting. Also saw a lot of yellow ribbon and red/white and blue ribbon Support your troops magnets and POW magnets which made me feel good. In and around Fort Bragg we are fairly conservative-- GW signs are up in my community (but not in my yard, nor do I have a GW sticker on my truck- not a big fan of the whole polarization thing and some of my Soldiers might think that I am telling them how to vote) and no Kerry ones. Still I expected a lot more strong supporters as I wandered up North into the democratic bastions. Maybe the luv Guv (McGreevey) has eroded some support up there. I don't know, but I was surprised. I have even seen a Nader sticker down here that some poor bastard put on his riceburner. But Kerry, not so much.

It made me think that the ABB crowd has mobilized their base as simply hatred for Bush and not in support of their Candidate. Hate then, is not enough to win a campaign. A good lesson you would think, that the republicans learned in 1996.

I think the democrats will learn it in 2004. It will still be a close race, but many of these democrats might not get up off the couch to vote because they might not like their candidate enough to go out and vote for him. John Kerry or a block of wood and the vote would go about 49-51%.

Again, just something my observers eye picked out and found interesting.


3 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Believe it or not, we don't see many political stickers here either. I saw one kerry sticker on the back of a beat up pick up truck. Bush sticker on a brand new truck. I guess the perception of the economy is all about your own status.

3:48 PM  
Blogger redleg said...

Interesting, or maybe bumper stickers have gone out of style....

4:32 PM  
Blogger redleg said...

And yesterday I saw a Veterans for Kerry sticker on the back of a pickup in Fayetteville-- beatup truck as well. Brave man for doing that here. GW stickers and signs are in abundance, but not many for Kerry.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home